Agriculture and Food Science encompass research and observation of field crop production, farming methods and farm animals to enhance the efficiency, safety and farming methods of agricultural establishments and products. There are multiple roles available within the industry in government and private sectors including opportunities in start-ups and self-employment.
A few career options include Food Science and Technology, Agricultural Biotechnology, Forestry, Agronomy, Soil Science etc. Let us discuss them in detail:
- Food Science and Technology: Food Science and Technology is the study of the food processes for its better understanding and aims to improve food products for the general public. The primary responsibility of a food technologist is to ensure that food products are safe and meet specific standards. To this end, they will work towards developing the manufacturing processes & recipes of various food and drink products. This could involve working on both existing and newly-discovered ingredients to invent new recipes and concepts.
People working in the sector may also be required to work closely with the product development teams to modify food products to ensure they are nutritious and healthy. Keeping up with ever-changing food production regulations will be an essential part of their job.
Students pursuing studies in Food Science and Technology can expect to work in plethora of roles and career options in the future. Prominent among them being: Nutritional Therapists, Food Technologist, Product Development Scientist, Toxicologist, Technical Brewer, Animal Nutritionist, Process Development Scientists, Food Scientist, Research Scientist, Food Inspector, Quality Controller, Food Engineer, Biochemist, Food Product Development Director, Food Procurement Executive etc.
- Agricultural Biotechnology:Agricultural Biotechnology or Agritech is a branch of agricultural science which involves the use of different scientific instruments and techniques, such as molecular markers, genetic engineering, tissue culture and vaccines etc., to modify living organisms i.e. animals, plants and microorganisms. In short, it is a collection of scientific techniques used to improve agricultural productivity of plants, animals and microorganisms.
Roles available for graduates of agricultural biotechnology include Bioprocess Engineer, Plant Tissue Culture Technician, Genomics Research Specialist, Agricultural Engineer, Genetic Engineer, Agricultural Consultant, Agriculture Research Scientist. Further, graduates can secure jobs in Pharmaceutical and Chemical industries,
Bio-processing industries, Textile industry, Beauty industry, Healthcare industry etc.
- Forestry:Forestry is a branch of science that deals with the protection, conservation, and development of forests including the protection and refurbishment of ecological balance to maintain environmental stability, inspection of soil erosion, afforestation, and effective utilisation of forest produce.
Students pursuing studies in Forestry can expect to work in a plethora of roles and career options in the future. Prominent among them being: Forest Affairs Officer, Forest Activist, Forest Range Officer, Natural Resource Technician, Operations Forester, Senior Forestry Consultant, Foresters Silviculturist, Auditor Forestry etc.
- Agronomy: Agronomy is a branch of agricultural science that includes study of plant physiology, soil science, meteorology, and plant genetics. It is the application of science and technology in agriculture from an holistic and integrated perspective that focuses on developing techniques to enhance the production, improvement and management of major food crops. Further, it is the study of the intersection of crop genetics/physiology, their management, and the environment, including soils, in which they are grown.
Roles available for students pursuing agronomy studies include: Crop Advisor, Agri-business Consultant, Hydroponics Consultant, Agronomy Project Coordinator, Seed Plant Operator, Digital Farming Solutions Manager, Plant Scientist etc.
- Plant Breeding and Genetics: Plant breeding and genetics is a science based on genetics and cytogenetics to improve the yield, quality and performance of different existing crops as well as create new varieties to meet market requirements and consumer demands. It uses principles from a variety of sciences to improve the genetic potential of plants. The process involves combining parental plants to obtain the next generation with the best characteristics. Breeders improve plants by selecting those with the greatest potential based on performance data, pedigree, and more sophisticated genetic information. Plants are improved for food, feed, fiber, fuel, shelter, landscaping, ecosystems services and a variety of other human activities.
Plant Scientist, Agricultural Consultant, Plant Geneticist and Genetic Engineer are some of the career options available to students.
- Soil Science: Soil science is the study of soil as an environmental resource. It involves the study of soil formation, and different properties such as physical, biological, chemical and fertility of soil in relation to the use and management of soils.
Some of the career options include Soil Scientist, Agricultural Consultant, Plant Scientist, Microbiologists, Silviculturists etc.
- Dairy Technology: Dairy Technology is a science and engineering field that deals with the study of milk processing and its products. It is a part of the food technology and processing industry that involves processing, packaging, distribution and transportation of various dairy products such as milk and ice-cream by using the science of biochemistry, bacteriology, and nutrition. The field of dairy technology basically uses “technology” to make dairy products hi-tech as well as useful.
Students pursuing studies in Dairy Technology can expect to work in a plethora of roles and career options in the future. Prominent among them being: Dairy Supervisor, Dairy Consultant, Dairy Engineers, Dairy Scientist/Researcher, Microbiologist, Dairy Production Manager, Dairy Technologist, Quality Control Officer etc.
- Horticulture: Horticulture is a branch of plant agriculture dealing with vegetables, ornamental plants and fruits. It is the science of development, sustainable production and marketing of high-yield and meticulously cultivated food and plants.
Some of the career options include Horticultural Therapist, Horticultural Scientist /Researcher, Landscape Horticulture, Floriculturist, Olericulturist, Pomologist, Viticulture, Arboriculture etc.
Agricultural Engineering: Agricultural Engineering is an area of engineering which integrates technology with farming through design and development of farming machinery, systems and equipment for agricultural operations and products. In simpler words, it is a fusion of agriculture and technology.
Agricultural Consultant, Farm Manager, Rural Practice Surveyor, Agricultural Engineer, Irrigation Engineer, Seed Production Specialist, Agriculture Officerare some of the career options available to students.
Advancing North East (www.advancingnortheast.in) is a one stop solution web portal for career and livelihood developed by the North Eastern Development Finance Corporation (NEDFi) and funded by the North Eastern Council, Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (M-DoNER), Govt of India.
(For any query related to your career and livelihood reach out through [email protected].)