Acting contrary to the Education Department’s notification issued last week, many city schools are holding back failed students, East Shillong MLA Ampareen Lyngdoh told Highland Post today.
In its notification on March 26, the department declared that there will be ‘no detention’ for students, except those in Classes 10 and 12 who appeared for their board exams.
“Many city schools have conducted their offline examination and declared the results and also detained many students, with some getting the transfer certificate,” Lyngdoh stated.
Many of those students who have approached the Congress legislator have been held back after failing in Classes 7 and 8.
“What will the students who have been detained do now?” Lyngdoh questioned. “I just don’t know what is going on and the government should quickly send instructions knowing that schools have started and decide on these things immediately,” she said.