At least 11 shops were gutted in a fire that raged on after three cylinders burst due to an accident in the village of Dainadubi in North Garo Hills.
According to information received, at around 2:45 this morning, an unregulated cylinder that was lying unattended burst into flames leading to neighbouring shops also catching fire. The sudden burst was so strong that some people, who were resting in their houses, fell from their beds due to the explosion.
At least 11 shops were destroyed in the fire that was doused when the Dainadubi Outpost called for help at the nearest emergency services at Damra, about 3 kms away in Goalpara in Assam. The quick reaction by the F&ES services ensured that the damage was limited due to the fire.
“An investigation has been launched on the incident but we believe that the fire was started due to a faulty gas cylinder. As most of the shops were kutcha they caught fire and were destroyed,” said superintendent of police, NGH, Abraham T Sangma.
As per sources, all of the shops did not have insurance though at least Rs 20 lakhs was lost by traders due to the fire. While information was taken on the incident that took place, they were hoping for some form of assistance from the district administration of North Garo Hill.