Shillong, May 22:Authorities were forced to defer the contentious public hearing in East Jaintia Hills on whether to give permission to Shree Cement to mine limestone from Lum Syrman after it was determined that the atmosphere was too volatile and posed a risk to law and order.
District officials, under the supervision of the Deputy Commissioner and magistrates, said no one was able to speak on the platform due to the large turnout of groups both supporting and opposing the hearing.
Before the hearing began, a truck that had been set up as a blockade was set on fire. A clash also broke out between police and opponents of the hearing, including members of the Jaintia National Council (JNC).
Meanwhile, residents of Sutnga and farmers from Nongkhlieh opposing the hearing alleged they were blocked from entering the venue by those supporting it.
Speaking to reporters, JNC leader Sambormi Lyngdoh congratulated the Hima Sutnga Youth Federation and the people of Sutnga for working with them. He said he had sent a statement to Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong, who holds the Home portfolio, on allowing opponents to take part in the public hearing. He added that participation should be ensured through unity and not by violating the rights of the people.
Following the disruption, district authorities suspended the proceedings and said a fresh date would be announced after reviewing security arrangements. The Meghalaya State Pollution Control Board (MSPCB) stated that public hearings are mandatory for environmental clearance and that inputs from all stakeholders will be recorded when the hearing is rescheduled.
Police confirmed that additional forces were deployed to maintain law and order. No serious injuries were reported, but officials said preventive measures would be tightened for future hearings.





























