HP NEWS SERVICE
Shillong, Jul 4: Police on Saturday picked up 11 suspects in the incident where five youths were attacked in a basketball court in Lawsohtun locality with iron-rods and sticks on Friday afternoon.
Police informed that following the attack three suspects were picked up on Friday and eight suspects were picked up on Saturday by police for interrogation.
“Statements of the victims as well as the bystanders have been recorded and further investigation of the case is in progress. A criminal case No. 71(07)20 has been registered at Laban Police Station under sections 326/307/506/34 IPC,” Assistant Inspector General of Police, Gabriel K Iangrai informed.
On Friday, several youths hailing from Laban and adjoining areas went to play basketball at Block IV in Lawsohtun, however, at around 12:30 pm, around 20-25 unidentified boys who had already gathered at the basketball court started assaulting these youths with iron rods and sticks.
The injured youths have been identified as Arindam Deb, Subharshi Das Purkayastha, Saptarshi Das Purkayastha, Binak Deb, Bishal Ghosh, and Prittish Deb.
The police had issued a stern warning to any individual who incites or breach communal peace and harmony, as stringent action as per relevant provisions of law will be taken against them.
Iangrai has also appealed to all witnesses to come forward in helping the investigation team to ascertain the facts and circumstances of the case and most importantly, to help in identifying the perpetrators of the crime.
“The identity of those who are willing to help the police team will be kept as confidential and will not be disclosed,” the police official assured.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Conrad Sangma on Saturday assured action against those who attacked six youths.
“I strongly condemn the assault on 5 boys yesterday in Lawsohtun, Shillong. An assault on any citizen of the State irrespective of background or community will not be tolerated,” Chief Minister tweeted.
“Perpetrators of such heinous crimes will be charged by law. Action will be taken,” Sangma assured.
Condemning the barbaric attack, BJP Meghalaya State president Ernest Mawrie urged upon the State government to take stringent action against those people who take law into their own hands.
“This is the duty bound of the State government to see that no one violates the SOP for COVID-19 instead of individuals or groups taking the law into their own hand,” Mawrie said.
Mawrie further appealed to the citizens of Meghalaya in general and Shillong in particular to strictly follow the health protocol as the cases in the State are increasing.
Meanwhile, the Civil Society Women Organisation while condemning the assault said, “Such acts of violence should not be encouraged in a civil society and the CSWO strongly urge the police to find and arrest all perpetrators of this crime, whoever connections they are and the government should ensure speed up of cases of violence so that justice is delivered.”