Shillong, Aug 20: Traffic movement along the Shillong-Guwahati National Highway was restored on Thursday evening after Meghalaya and Assam authorities intervened to resolve blockades reported at Jorabat and Khanapara, Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong said.
Tynsong said the Chief Secretaries and DGPs of both states were in touch throughout the day and eventually resolved the issue.
“As I speak, traffic movement is smooth on both sides of the state,” he said, appealing to commuters to remain calm.
Today tensions escalated over the attacks on Assam-registered vehicles and passengers here in Shillong yesterday, with retaliatory action against Meghalaya-registered cars trying to enter Assam.
Today, Assam-based commercial vehicle drivers and transport associations staged protests and blockades at entry points including Khanapara and Jorabat. There were also some reports of stoning against Meghalaya vehicles. Meanwhile, there were reports of vandalism and assaults along the Guwahati-Shillong route, particularly around Khanapara and other transit points, reportedly involving KSU members and supporters.
Meanwhile, in the interest of safety, the Highlander Brigade, a fan club of NorthEast United FC, decided that its members would not travel to Shillong for tonight’s Durand Cup 2026 semifinal where their team will play Mohun Bagan.
Against this backdrop, Assam activist Srinkhal Chaliha said, “We will write a new history of protest if the violence does not stop. If required, we will drive them (Meghalaya students) out of Assam.” His remarks have raised concerns over the possibility of the unrest in Meghalaya spilling across the state border and affecting students, workers and residents from Meghalaya living in Assam.
Tynsong said a review meeting was held with senior officials, including the East Khasi Hills Deputy Commissioner and Superintendent of Police, Chief Secretary and Director General of Police, following which the district administration was directed to remain more active during the night.
He said the government had decided against imposing a night curfew for now as the situation remained under control and no untoward incident had been reported on Thursday.
Amid concerns over fear among residents, Tynsong said police had been instructed to remain proactive and ensure peace and tranquillity.
He said drones and CCTV cameras had been deployed to identify those involved in assaults and damage to public property.
“The DC is on the job to identify those criminals who unnecessarily damaged property and committed criminal activities. The law will take its own course,” he said.
Tynsong added that Chief Ministers of Meghalaya and Assam were in touch and were likely to work towards a joint mechanism to restore normalcy and ensure the safety of people in both states.
Meghalaya CM Conrad K Sangma had posted about this on social media earlier today, saying that he had spoken to his opposite number in Assam, Himanta Biswa Sarma, regarding the “unfortunate” violence in Shillong yesterday “and the reactions that have followed, which have affected the common people and commuters of both states.”
The two agreed to work together “as always” to normalise the situation, he added while appealing for citizens of both states to maintain peace, harmony and restraint.
Designated cabinet ministers from both states will meet to take the discussions forward and explore ways to restore peace, trust and normalcy, Sangma said in the post that he tagged Union Home Minister Amit Shah.























