The Catholic Church at Sohphoh village in Ri-Bhoi today celebrated its centenary.
Around 5,000 faithful from various parts of the district took part in the celebrations, which was solemnised by the concelebration of seven priests presided by a senior priest, Fr Gerald Khongjee, the main celebrant today.
The seed of the church was planted in 1923. Sohphoh village today consists of 136 households with a population of around 1,200, half of whom are Catholics.
The church at Sohphoh is dedicated to Saint Francis D’Assisi. Situated on the banks of the Umiam River, Sohphoh is suitably located in one of the most fertile lands in Ri-Bhoi, which is known for being the rice plate of Khasi Hills.