Khliehriat, May 20:Chaos broke out at the Deputy Commissioner’s office in Khliehriat today after protestors led by the Jaintia National Council (JNC), Jaintia Students Union (JSU) and farmers from Elaka Nongkhlieh forced their way into the premises, overwhelming police personnel.
Police failed to contain the mob, which forced themselves and managed to enter the office of the DC. The protesters later staged a sit-in demonstration there.
During the protest, demonstrators raised slogans alleging that Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma and Deputy CM Sniawbhalang Dhar were “hand in glove” with Shree Cement, a company that wants to begin limestone quarrying in Elaka Nongkhlieh to supply its plant with raw material for cement manufacture.
While a section of residents are in favour of the development, others are staunchly opposed and they have the backing of several pressure groups, such as the JNC and JSU.
JNC president Sambormi Lyngdoh alleged that farmland had been forcefully taken from residents as landowners from Elaka Nongkhlieh received cheques for their land that bounced.
“I am certain that the CM knows about all these happenings in East Jaintia Hills, but is silent,” Lyngdoh said. “If the company belongs to the CM then we request him to take it to Garo Hills and do whatever he likes because in East Jaintia he has to respect the owners of the land.”
Protesters threatened further agitation, including barring the DC office and preventing the DC and other government officials from conducting a public hearing scheduled for May 22.
“If the public hearing proceeds we will continue to fight even if we have to boycott the [upcoming] MP [by-]election because the only thing that we want is for the public hearing to stop,” Lyngdoh said.
Following a meeting with the district administration and officials, Lyngdoh and JSU general secretary Niel Mukhim informed that the DC will give his decision on Thursday on the demand to do away with the public hearing.






















