Jewellery Design is the art of conceptualizing, designing and creating jewellery with gems, stones, crystals and metals. Through a jewellery design course, students can execute their creative design inspirations into a materialistic and usable piece of jewellery.
- Available roles: Candidates who have succeeded in finishing their degree in jewellery design can opt for some of the following job profiles: Jewellery Designer, Goldsmith, Gemologist, Jewellery Consultant etc.
- Key Skills Required:Artistry, Problem Solving, Innovative, Spatial Apititude, Teamwork, Perceptive Ability, Detail Oriented,Decision Making, Management, Analytical Aptitude.
- What to study?
Students intending to pursue a career in Jewellery Design can take up the following pathways:
- Path 1:Class XII in Any Stream; B.Sc. Fashion Designing/ B. Des. Accessory Design/ B. Des. Jewellery Retail and Export Management; Masters in Fashion Design/ M. Des. Accessory Design.
- Path 2: Class XII in Any Stream; Diploma in Fashion Designing/ Diploma in Jewellery Designing; Advanced Diploma in Fashion Designing/ Advanced Diploma in Jewellery Designing.
- Path 3:Class XII in Any Stream; B.Sc. Fashion Designing/ B. Des. Accessory Design/ B. Des. Jewellery Retail and Export Management; Masters in Fine Jewellery Design/ MA Design (Jewellery).
- Where to study?
Some of the top colleges to pursue Jewellery Design are mentioned below:
|1. NIFT, Delhi
2. IIT, Bombay
3. National Institute of Design, Multiple Locations
4. ARCH Academy of Design, Jaipur
5. Pearl Academy, New Delhi
6. Gemmological Institute of India, Mumbai
|1. Pratt Institute, New York
2. Massachusetts College of Art and Design, Boston
3. International Gemological Institute
4. The Italian International Institute, Italy
5. London Jewellery School, UK
6. Gemological Institute of America, United States
- Pros and Cons:
- Pros: Creative work environment, Independent work, High renumeration.
- Cons:Difficult to establish, Highly competitive.
- Top Recruiters:Some of the top recruiting companies for Jewellery Designers are Cartier, Tiffany & Co., Mikimoto, House of Anita Dongre, Tanishq, Kalyan, TBZ, Amrapali, Senco, PC Chandra Jewellers, Pipa Bella, Voylla, Ornativa, Fourseven, Sukkhi, Dazl, ILoveDiamonds, jewelove.in.
Further, those wanting to work independently can do so with their independent brand, designer boutiques, gemology consultant etc.
Advancing North East (www.advancingnortheast.in) is a one stop solution web portal for career and livelihood developed by the North Eastern Development Finance Corporation (NEDFi) and funded by the North Eastern Council, Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (M-DoNER), Govt of India.
For any query related to your career and livelihood reach out through [email protected].