The Meghalaya High Court has lamented the failure of the State government to implement its own proposals to ease traffic congestion in Shillong.
The concern was expressed by the division bench of the High Court during the hearing of a PIL filed by Philip Khrawbok Shati today.
“Several months back, the State had indicated that most of the parents of school-going children in the city had agreed to opt for their wards being ferried to schools by bus, provided the State government took the responsibility of running such service. Indeed, it was indicated that about 50 to 60 buses were being acquired for such purposes. However, nothing seems to have been implemented in such regard. There were other long-term and short-term plans which had been tentatively indicated, particularly following suggestions by the IIM, Shillong and by a foreign agency apparently engaged by the State for such purpose. Again, nothing appears to have come of it apart from a ropeway being planned, and that too, for tourism purposes,” the High Court said.
The court also asked the State government to file an affidavit indicating the steps taken and proposed to be taken to ease the traffic congestion in the city.
“The State’s affidavit should indicate the plans to be implemented over the next few months, those over the next few years and the long term goals taking into consideration the rate of increase of private cars and vehicular traffic, the burgeoning tourism industry and the available space,” the High Court said while fixing May 3 for the next hearing on the matter.
Leave a Reply