The State government has decided to rename Lady Hydari Park to Ka Phan Nonglait Park.
Chief Minister Conrad Sangma said the decision to rename the park was taken a long time but because of administrative complications the matter was delayed.
The demand to change the name of the park was first made by the Khasi Students Union (KSU) to honour Phan Nonglait, the first Khasi woman who revolted against the British during the time of Tirot Sing Syiem between 1829 and 1833.
In 2018, members of the pressure group as part of observing the Khasi National Awakening Day replaced the place identification at the entrance of the park with the name, ‘Ka Phan Nonglait Park and Animal Land’. This was after the state government failed to implement a notification issued on September 11, 2001 for renaming the city park.
Last week the union objected to the name after identification signboards with the name Lady Hydari Park were raised in the city.
The park is a tourist spot in Shillong. It was dedicated to the erstwhile First Lady (wife of former governor of Assam Sir Muhammad Saleh Akbar Hydari) when Shillong was under the administration of Assam during the British rule.
- Creation of posts for Shillong Public Hr. Sec. School
- Creation of posts in the State NSS Cell as mandated by GoI
- Amendment to the Meghalaya State Food Commission Rules 2014 for the tenure of the Chairman in accordance with the rules at the national level.
- Enhancement of Cash Grant to recipients from Gallantry and Distinguished Award Winners of Army, Navy and Air Force personnel of the state.
- Meghalaya State Wakf Board Rules 2023.
- Meghalaya State Policy on Construction & Demolition Wastes 2021.
Leave a Reply