The state cabinet today approved a proposal to notify the Meghalaya Regulation of Gaming Ordinance 2021.
Talking to reporters after the cabinet meeting, Taxation Minister James Sangma informed that the department is looking into ways and means to increase revenue collection by improving the existing Taxation Acts and embracing the use of technology by also tapping new resources to generate revenue for the state exchequer.
Gaming through the use of information technology generates revenue to the entity involved in the operation of online gaming servers through the acceptance of stake money and advertisements, Sangma said, and the state wants a slice of the pie.
The minister said that, in order to regulate gaming within the state and to bring in revenue to the government, the department felt it necessary to enact legislation and the draft ordinance was therefore placed in cabinet for approval. The Law and Finance Departments have already given their approval.
Until now there has been no regulatory mechanism to monitor the online gaming scene in Meghalaya, he added.
Meanwhile, the cabinet also passed a resolution to implement the Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) Phase 2, including the timely release of funds by the state to village water and sanitation committees (VWSCs).
As Meghalaya does not follow the Gram Panchayat system as elsewhere in the country, the state will continue with the system adopted to implement Phase 1 that is through VWSCs.
The central government will provide 90 percent of the funding for the scheme, with the remaining 10 percent to be borne by the state.
The state has to also set up suggested institutional arrangements for implementation and management of Phase 2.