Meghalaya High Court Chief Justice Sanjib Banerjee has urged people in Jaiñtia Hills to stop illegal rat hole mining.
Banerjee was in Tuberkmaishnong to attend the mega camp and awareness programme on NALSA and government schemes. He spoke about the ill effects of rat hole mining and said, since the State government is introducing scientific coal mining, people can also form cooperative societies and apply for license.
This week, the East Jaiñtia Hills Deputy Commissioner had said that cooperative bodies can be formed by small miners and they can apply collectively for prospecting license or mining lease for undertaking scientific mining in the district.
He said scientific mining can be conducted by cooperative societies by adhering to all statutory and environment concerns and parameters. This, he said, will be an avenue of ensuring revenue and livelihood opportunities for those who were previously engaged in coal mining.
It may be mentioned that on September 12, Chief Minister Conrad Sangma had claimed that the final stage of the scientific coal mining plan is being vetted and in a matter of weeks or a month, mining will start legally. He said that four persons have obtained mining permission from the Centre and their mining plans are awaiting approval.
The Chief Justice lamented that domestic violence against women persists to this day even though India’s freedom movement brought about positive changes. He motivated the womenfolk not to be silent but report to concerned authorities whenever they experience abuse.
He also cited incidences of sexual abuse against children with such crimes more often being committed by family members of the victims. Banerjee made a clarion call to the gathering to join hands together in the combined fight against crimes and sexual abuse against children and drug abuse.
He said the scourge of drugs has crept into society and everyone including parents, teachers, community leaders, students and others should be aware of the menace that drugs bring to society.
The Chief Justice also informed that Adhaar coverage in East Jaiñtia Hills District is about 82 per cent and called upon concerned stakeholders including traditional heads, elders of society, teachers and others to spread the word around and to encourage the remaining 18 per cent of the population of the district to get themselves enrolled for Adhaar.
Meghalaya High Court Judge and Meghalaya State Legal Service Authority (MSLSA) Executive Chairman, H.S Thangkhiew in his speech urged upon the gathering to reach out to Para Legal Volunteers (PLVs) of their respective villages for guidance and assistance whenever they are being denied of their rights and entitlements.
The mega camp under the theme, “Bridging the Gap” was organised by the MSLSA in collaboration with the District Legal Services Authority (DLSA) and the office of the Deputy Commissioner, offices of the Block Development Officers, Khliehriat, Wapung and Saipung Blocks and various government departments.
Aids and assistive devices were distributed to specially abled persons and work orders were also distributed to beneficiaries under PMAY-G Scheme at the programme held at the playground of Sein Jait Tuber Higher Secondary School.
Services including free health check-up, MHIS enrolment, Adhaar Card, EPIC Card & E-Shram registration, information on schemes implemented by different departments including Agriculture, Horticulture, Social Welfare, Fisheries, Commerce & Industries, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary etc and exhibition cum sale of products made by Self Help Groups (SHGs) of the district were also made available to the public who attended the camp.