Shillong, Aug 16: In a press statement issued on Saturday through its central executive committee president Sambormi Lyngdoh, the Jaintia National Council (JNC) responded to Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma’s recent remarks regarding the public hearing held last month in East Jaiñtia Hills.
The CM had stated that the state government had directed the Deputy Commissioner’s office in East Jaiñtia Hills to inquire into reported incidents, including the alleged digging of a Public Works Department road by supporters of Shree Cement. He had also said that many people were satisfied with the public hearing.
However, the JNC disputed this assessment, claiming that a large number of local residents opposed the public hearing. The organisation alleged that some people who intended to voice their opposition were prevented from attending, and that force, including police deployment and alleged involvement of local supporters of the company, was used against them.
“The JNC’s stand has never been against Shree Cement or any particular company,” the organisation stated. “Our concern is the protection and preservation of the rights of farmers and landowners in Lum Syrman, whose livelihoods depend on this land.”
Shree Cement has proposed a cement plant-cum-limestone quarry at the site, which proponents claim will improve the local economy. However, detractors worry about pollution of water bodies, farmland and the air. The latter group bitterly opposed the hearing at the end of July.
Those against the project claimed that many had been prevented by police from attending the hearing, while others were hampered by a road that had been dug up allegedly to stop them from reaching the venue in time. There were also criticisms over the timing of the hearing, which opponents claimed would clash with farmers’ working hours.
According to the JNC, Lum Syrman supports hundreds of farming families, while numerous individuals hold land ownership rights in the area. The organisation questioned who would be accountable for the alleged loss of land and livelihood if the proposed mining project proceeds.
The JNC also expressed concern that, while the CM had made several public statements on the Shree Cement matter, he had not specifically addressed allegations of violence, coercion and the alleged forcible occupation of land belonging to local farmers and residents in Lum Syrman.
The organisation said it had submitted a letter to Sangma on August 13, placing two demands before the government. The chief one is for the identification of ways and means to safeguard and support farmers who may be affected if the mining project is implemented.
The JNC has given the government 20 days to take concrete action. It warned that if no meaningful steps are taken within the stipulated period, the organisation will intensify its campaign through lawful democratic and mass-mobilisation programmes.
Reiterating its position, the JNC said its movement is directed at the government rather than the company. It argued that the company could not allegedly carry out actions affecting local people without the support or inaction of the state authorities.
“The government must act before the expiry of the 10-day deadline to address the grievances of landowners and farmers, particularly those of Lum Syrman,” the JNC said.






















