The residents of nine houses gutted in yesterday’s fire incident at Maxwelton Estate in Oxford locality of the city are now in dilemma as they had lost not only their houses but also all their belongings.
The fire broke out at around 4:50 pm yesterday leaving about 38 people from the nine household homeless and all their belonging burnt to ashes. However, no loss of life or injury was reported.
East Khasi Hills Superintendent of Police, Sylvester Nongtnger, yesterday said that during the inquiry, it is learned that the fire started from one storeroom in the steel fabrication where MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker) Board is fixed. Three LPG cylinders also exploded.
Speaking to Highland Post today afternoon, the residents who are now homeless said that their life has been shattered.
“All our belongings are gone including money and gold and the fire that broke out was so intense that we did not get a chance to save any of our belongings,” an elderly lady who was a victim of the fire incident said.
Informing that they had received food, water from various quarters today morning, the residents however expressed fear now that they do not even have a place to dwell even as they wonder as to who will continue to supply them all the basic requirements.
“We were awaked the whole night yesterday and we are now homeless with no roof over our head and no clothes for our children and if anyone can build us our houses temporarily we would be very thankful,” the resident living at the government land said.
The residents whom most of the head of the family were drivers and domestic workers also claimed to have live in this government land for more than 20-26 years and stated that they will not leave the place and will not accept any relocation.
Meanwhile, the Dorbar Shnong Kenches Trace, Oxford, and Rilbong today donated dry rations to the affected families.