Agronomy is a branch of agricultural science that includes study of plant physiology, soil science, meteorology, and plant genetics. It is the application of science and technology in agriculture from a holistic and integrated perspective that focuses on developing techniques to enhance the production, improvement and management of major food crops. It is the study of the intersection of crop genetics/physiology, their management, and the environment, including soils, in which they are grown.
Available Job Roles: Plant Scientist, Rural Practice Surveyor, Soil Scientist, Agricultural Consultant, Crop Advisor, Agri-business Consultant, Hydroponics Consultant, Agronomy Project Coordinator, Seed Plant Operator, Digital Farming Solutions Manager etc.
Key Skills Required: Analytical skills, Domain knowledge, scientific knowledge, Problem-solving skills, Communication skills, Creativity, Team Player, Deep understanding of soil productivity principles.
What to study?
Students interested in pursuing a career in Agronomy can explore the following pathways:
- Path 1: Class XII in Science Stream; B.Sc (Agriculture); M.Sc (Agriculture); Ph.D (2-3 years)/Job.
Where to study?
Colleges and universities offering the best programs in Agronomy in India & abroad are given below:
|· Indian Agriculture Research Institute (IARI), New Delhi
· Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana
· Central Agricultural University, Imphal
· Assam Agriculture University, Jorhat
· G. B. Pant University of Agriculture & Technology, Uttarakhand
|· Wageningen University, Netherlands
· University of California, Davis, United States
· AgroParisTech, Paris, France
· University of Queensland, Australia
· South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou, China
Pros & Cons
- Pros: Developing crop production, Career opportunities, Attractive work environment, collaborating with farmers and crop researchers to conduct a detailed analysis of crop data.
- Cons: Tedious works, Salaries are average.
Some of the top recruiters of Agronomy graduates are: National Seed Corporation, State Farm Corporation, Warehousing Corporations, Govt Irrigation firms, Botanical Survey of India, Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (Government of India), State Forest Departments, Directorate of Soil Health (State Govts), Indian Institute of Biotechnology Pvt. ltd, WML Biotechnology Private Limited, Private Irrigation firms, Godrej Agrovet, DuPont India, Advanta India, Tea gardens across India, Coffee & rubber plantations across India, Fertilizer companies, Pindfresh, Aries Agro Pvt Ltd, Acqua Farms, Letcetra Agritech, Urban Kissan.
Further graduates can also work independently by starting Agronomy Consultancy, Agri-based Consultancies, Agricultural firms, Agriculture product shops, Agro-based industries etc.
Advancing North East (www.advancingnortheast.in) is a one stop solution web portal for career and livelihood developed by the North Eastern Development Finance Corporation (NEDFi) and funded by the North Eastern Council, Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (M-DoNER), Govt of India.
For any query related to your career andlivelihood reach out through firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a Reply