Shillong, May 22: The Meghalaya High Court has issued notice to North-Eastern Hill University (NEHU) in a writ petition filed by Voice of the People Party (VPP) candidate and NEHU professor Batskhem Myrboh, who is seeking service confirmation and a no-objection certificate (NOC) to contest the upcoming Shillong Lok Sabha by-election.
The matter was heard by Justice HS Thangkhiew yesterday.
Myrboh moved the High Court after NEHU allegedly delayed action on his applications seeking permission to contest the by-election. The Shillong seat fell vacant after the death earlier this year of Ricky AJ Syngkon, who, like Myrboh, was also a professor in NEHU as well as a member of the VPP.
Myrboh contended that he has completed his two-year probation at NEHU and there is no disciplinary proceeding against him, but the university is yet to confirm his service or issue the required NOC.
The would-be candidate said he submitted an application on March 5 to the Pro Vice-Chancellor of NEHU’s Shillong campus, seeking permission to contest the election. He filed another application to the Vice-Chancellor on April 10 requesting an NOC to enable him to offer his candidature. After receiving no reply, he sent a reminder on April 27.
The Pro VC responded on May 4, informing him that under NEHU Regulation Rule RE-05, the Executive Council is the competent authority to grant permission to NEHU teachers to contest elections for MP and MLA.
The petition further noted that Myrboh has completed his two-year probationary period in September 2025 and is entitled to service confirmation. When his name was missing from the list of confirmed associate teachers, he wrote to the VC on May 12 seeking corrective measures, but said no action has been taken so far.
On May 15, the Joint Registrar, Establishment-II, informed him that the Chief Vigilance Officer had issued a Vigilance Certificate stating that no disciplinary proceeding was contemplated against him.
The petition will be heard again on June 4.






















