Shillong, May 20: Public Health Engineering (PHE) Minister Marcuise N Marak today said payments under the Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) in Meghalaya were being delayed due to procedural requirements from the central government and not because of the state government or the PHE Department.
Speaking after a review meeting, Marak said the state had already fulfilled most of the conditions laid down by the Union Jal Shakti Ministry for the release of funds.
According to the minister, the PHE department has substantially complied with the required conditions, including targets related to Jal Ankalan, where Meghalaya has reportedly achieved more than 70 per cent progress.
“We are almost done with the conditions given by the Jal Shakti Ministry so that the payment can start. But there are still certain issues,” he added.
Marak explained that one of the key hurdles relates to utilisation certificates linked to funds released under the 15th Finance Commission to the three autonomous district councils in the state.
He said around Rs 45 crore had been released by the central government to the district councils during 2021-22, and the Centre is now seeking utilisation certificates for those funds before releasing further JJM payments.
“Some of the district councils have not yet submitted the utilisation certificates for that particular amount. Therefore, we are awaiting that,” he said.
At the review meeting senior officials were tasked with holding meetings with the three district councils to hurry along the submission of the utilisation certificates.























