Shillong, Aug 28: At least two of the three autonomous district councils in Meghalaya could collapse due to financial strain in the next three to four years without a bailout from the state government, cabinet minister and government spokesperson Paul Lyngdoh warned today.
The situation is at crisis point in the Garo Hills ADC, with staff protesting that they are owed 44 months’ worth of pay. The state government this week pledged to take on the responsibility of paying the salaries of the ADCs’ staff but only if reforms are carried out.
Lyngdoh doubled down on this, stating today that the funding would not be a blank cheque but that reforms must be instituted, such as a reduction in staff. The decision to fund the salaries should be seen as a reform-based bailout, not as an attempt to weaken their financial powers, Lyngdoh, who was an MDC in the KHADC until earlier this year, said.
He pointed out that some ADCs are already struggling and could shut down within the next three to four years if they continue with the current system of revenue collection and staffing. “This is not mandatory funding. It is voluntary support tied to reforms. Without change at least a couple of ADCs will not survive,” he said.
The minister made it clear that the support will come with conditions. “This is not a blank cheque. The councils must cut down on excess staff and manage their resources better. Why does an ADC need 1,500 staff? If they can work with half that number, they must reduce it. Our aim is to give them a lifeline but only if they commit to reforms,” Lyngdoh stressed.
He also highlighted the seriousness of the staffing issue. “In some councils, if every employee comes to office, there isn’t even enough space to sit. That shows how irrational the system has become. We have to handhold them through this reform process so that they can function properly,” he added.























