Shillong, May 21: The Meghalaya Pradesh Youth Congress (MPYC) has asked the state government to provide monetary support to NEET Undergraduate 2026 exam sitters who would find the financial implications of retaking the test difficult to bear.
Like the rest of the country, NEET sitters in Meghalaya will have to take the exam a second time after the first test was cancelled due to an exam paper leak.
For students from Meghalaya’s remote districts, the NEET re-examination on June 21 could mean choosing between a medical career and financial survival, the MPYC has warned.
Citing “emotional distress, uncertainty and financial strain,” MPYC president Timjim K Momin has written to Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma seeking urgent financial compensation and accommodation support for candidates, especially those from far-flung areas like North Garo Hills.
The appeal, sent through the Deputy Commissioner of North Garo Hills, said the cancellation of the earlier exam has hit families hard. Many had already spent “significant amounts” on travel, lodging and food for the first exam date. With the re-test announced at short notice, families from economically weaker sections are now being forced to bear the same costs again.
“Geographical isolation, transport difficulties, and limited access to affordable lodging near exam centres” are compounding the problem for rural students, the letter said. Some candidates, particularly from disadvantaged backgrounds, are now reportedly considering abandoning their NEET aspirations altogether due to repeated expenses.






















