Shillong, Aug 21: The State government felicitated an electric bus driver and conductor for their exceptional courage in protecting passengers during the August 19 stone-pelting incident in Shillong.
The Department of Urban Affairs honoured Fullmoonwell Lyngdoh, driver, and Banmanbha Marwien, conductor, of the electric bus “Ka Bos Jong Ngi” for their presence of mind during the attack at Wahkdiat, Nongmensong.
According to officials, the incident occurred at about 5:51 pm on August 19. The bus, bearing registration number ML 05 AH 5045 and operating on the Air Force to IIM route, came upon an ongoing KSU rally at Wahkdiat when miscreants began pelting stones. The front windshield was shattered, placing passengers and crew in danger.
Officials said the crew acted to prioritise passenger safety. The conductor alerted passengers to duck and take cover, while the driver maintained control and moved the bus away from the danger zone. No passenger was injured.
Secretary of Urban Affairs Wanrilin A.M. Booth said the felicitation was to publicly recognise and honour the two for their exemplary conduct. “When the situation became dangerous, they did not think of their own safety first. They thought of the passengers. Their presence of mind in instructing passengers to take cover and their determination to bring everyone to safety are exactly the qualities we expect from our public transport personnel. The Government is proud of them,” she said.
Booth added that public transport personnel are responsible for the safety and well-being of hundreds of citizens daily. “The State Government, the Urban Affairs Department and the Meghalaya Urban Development Authority (MUDA) stand firmly behind our public transport workers. Violence against public transport is unacceptable,” she said.
Urban Affairs Deputy Secretarty Saloni Verma and MUDA Secretary Sainpyniar S. Syiemlieh also commended the crew. Syiemlieh said bus operations on the route had been reduced as a precaution during the rally. He recommended training for drivers and conductors in coordination with the State Disaster Management Authority to strengthen emergency preparedness.
Urban Affairs Director P. Kr. Boro said their handling of the crisis “set a benchmark for public transport personnel.”
Recalling the incident, the driver said he had slowed down for bikers when the situation escalated and then moved passengers to safety. Marwien said he instructed passengers to take cover immediately after a stone struck the bus.
The department awarded a cash prize of ₹10,000 each to Lyngdoh and Marwien in recognition of their courage and commitment to passenger safety.
The government reiterated that passenger safety remains paramount and that frontline transport workers will continue to receive its support and recognition.























