Shillong, Aug 20: East Khasi Hills Deputy Commissioner Abhilash Baranwal informed today that permission for a sit-in demonstration by the Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) on Friday will be cancelled in light of yesterday’s violence during a rally through the city streets.
The KSU had sought permission for yesterday’s rally as well as a march from Jaiaw to Khyndailad and a sit-in demonstration there. The pressure group is demanding that the state government accede to certain demands.
However, protesters yesterday indulged in stone pelting, damaged 31 vehicles, set a government vehicle on fire and assaulted pedestrians in areas including Fire Brigade, Nongmensong, Polo, Barik and Mawlai. The KSU later decided to cancel the march but planned on going ahead with the demonstration, though limiting it to only senior members of the organisation rather than opening it to the general public. KSU general secretary Reuben A Najiar denied that his members had been responsible for the violence yesterday and claimed that outside elements had hijacked what was otherwise a peaceful demonstration. Najiar and two other senior members were arrested by police late yesterday evening.
Baranwal today informed that the authorities have received 16 confirmed reports of assaults on the general public from yesterday. “Two statues of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose and Swami Vivekananda have been vandalised and, simultaneously, two vehicles – one government vehicle and one private vehicle registered from outside – have been torched,” the DC added.
He said the administration along with police and intelligence units are working to ensure no further incidents occur. “Any miscreant or anyone who tries to take law into their own hands will be dealt with strictly,” he warned, while appealing to people of Shillong and East Khasi Hills to cooperate with authorities and not indulge in rumour mongering.
The DC said police are identifying those involved in vandalism, arson and assault and arrests will follow as part of the investigation.
On the permission given to KSU for the bike rally, the DC said the organisation had assured through formal and informal communication that it would be peaceful. “We put strict conditions and deployed around 200 security personnel. A permission to organise protests is not a permission to assault, to vandalise, to [commit] arson, to hurt children,” he said.
Baranwal added that the district administration will review whether the response during the three-hour rally was sufficient, noting it was a “dynamic situation” with incidents occurring in multiple pockets.
Night patrolling is being increased and an atmosphere of safety is being ensured, he said.
To assist tourists, the Tourism Department will issue helpline numbers. The DC also said all 16 assault victims have reported to Civil Hospital and received medical care, with the government ready to provide further tertiary care if needed. “We are committed to their safety and security,” he added.























