Shillong, Aug 22: Police have confirmed that attempts are being made by rebel groups to recruit new members and regroup, raising concerns about militancy returning to the state after years of peace.
Director General of Police (DGP) Idashisha Nongrang admitted today that such reports have reached the police.
“Yes, there are reports of recruitment happening. But we still don’t know the scale of it or who exactly is behind these regrouping attempts,” she said, adding that the matter is being closely monitored.
The concern has been raised by Leader of the Opposition Dr Mukul Sangma during meetings of the State Security Commission. Yesterday he voiced his concerns publicly to the press.
“As Leader of the Opposition, he has access to a lot of information. He had flagged this issue a few months ago, saying that both educated and uneducated youth were being drawn towards militancy. Those concerns were noted,” Nongrang said.
Dr Sangma blamed a lack of jobs for the state’s youth as helping rebels recruit among Meghalaya’s young population.
The state has been largely free of militant violence for several years now. However, after talks with the state and central governments broke down, the outlawed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) has been sounding more bombastic and threatening in its statements. Last year there were a few arrests of members of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), another banned group, though these were extortionists rather than full-fledged militants.






















